As I shared in my last blog post, the benefits of Toddler Yoga are vast. Check out the rest of the list below!
- Reduced Stress - Studies show that children today encounter 25% more stress than their grandparents did as children (Itsy Bitsy Yoga for Toddlers and Preschoolers, pg.11). In a culture that is constantly on the move, now more than ever we need to instill in our children the importance of relaxation. One benefit of this is improved focusing and concentration skills, which leads to better learning. Relaxing effectively will help to make the stressors our children carry more tolerable, thereby leading to greater overall health.
- Improved Gross and Fine Motor Development - Many poses in a typical toddler yoga class contribute greatly to developing your child's gross and fine motor skills. Using various yoga props and repetitive practice of these poses from week to week ensures your child will be set up to succeed in their development.
- The Beginnings of a Healthy Lifestyle - Holistically healthy toddlers will become holistically healthy children! Starting a healthy lifestyle for your toddler is a gift they can take with them into the rest of their life. The body has a strong memory, and the movements we make and repeat stay with us on a cellular level as we grow.
- Strengthened Bonds Between Parent and Child - As Helen Garabedian writes, the word yoga means 'union', and in the case of Toddler Yoga, we have an opportunity to unite in a profound way with our child! Being fully present with your child in a toddler yoga class is a unique treat where there are no toys or distractions. It is a safe space to observe and learn about and from your toddler, during the most transformative and important years of her life.
- Longer Retention of Their Innate Bodily Awareness - As Liz Lark puts it, "Young bodies have not yet been inhibited or restricted by everyday conditioning, so they naturally move much more freely." Yoga will enable your toddler to retain and preserve their innate bodily awareness so they can move more freely throughout their life.
There you have it, the numerous benefits of Toddler Yoga completed.
Next Friday November 10th Appleseed is introducing a new weekly Toddler Yoga class to the schedule at 11am!
We hope to see you and your toddler there,
*This list is largely compiled from Helen Garabedian's Book, Itsy Bitsy Yoga. The comments are mine.