Over here at Appleseed we are OBSESSED with Kids Yoga and Mindfulness books. After almost 3 years of extensive research and testing (on the kids I teach and my own babies), I've curated a list of books that will capture the attention of your child and truly edify their soul during these formative years! You can find a book in this list for children between the ages of 1 and 12.
This list is sure to expand, evolve and change as this genre of material continues to grow, but here is Appleseed’s Top 10 Yoga and Mindfulness Books for 2019!
1. Yoga Bug by Sarah Jane Hinder - This sweet boardbook is loved by every Appleseed toddler that has come into contact with it! Each page associates a well-known bug with a pose and children love to move their bodies as the pages turn. The Bug theme is expansive and sweet. (Ages birth-4)
2. I’m The Biggest Thing In The Ocean by Kevin Sherry - Technically not a yoga book, this one makes the cut with it’s simple text and sweet oceanic creatures on each page! Children are taken up by the story and looooove the buildup and surprise ending! (Ages 18 mos - 5)
3. Meddy Teddy: Mindful Poses for Little Yogis - This board book goes well with a Meddy Teddy as a gift for your child! Kids are always inspired to move their Meddy Teddy and their own bodies as they turn each page. We sometimes use this book in our Namastuffy classes! (Ages 2 - 12)
4. You Are A Lion! By Taeeun Yoo - This book is a great one as each page includes sweet children in various animal poses and also inspires their natural sounds! The famous lion’s breath is always a hit with kids of any age - something they often aren’t encouraged to do outside of yoga class! (Ages 2-8)
5. I Am Human: A Book of Empathy by Susan Verde and Peter H. Reynolds - This book is part of a fantastic series that will have great philosophical impact on the next generation. Just as Appleseed hopes to ultimately accomplish in this world, this book highlights the fundamental connectedness of humans and their natural state of perfect imperfection. (Ages 6-12)
6. ABC Mindful Me by Christiane Engel - We love this book in our home since the boys can enjoy it on their own accord! The pictures are simple, colourful, and remind us of some of the values we hold close: love of nature, presence, and creativity! (Ages 2-8)
7. Breathe Like A Bear by Kira Willey & Anni Betts- If you teach kids (no matter the setting), or are a parent, this book is a fantastic tool. It is comprised of 30 exercises to calm, focus, imagine, energize, and relax children. These lessons are invaluable in connecting to kids and supporting them (and yourself) regardless of the situation! (Ages 2-12)
8. Yoga Bunny by Brian Russo - Each kid I read this book to loves it! The natural progression of Bunny’s yoga adventure captures a child’s attention beautifully. We also learn a few key benefits to yoga alongside sweet and simple illustrations! (Ages 3-8)
9. The Yoga Game: In The Garden by Kathy Beliveau & Denise Holmes - Children are magnetized to this book. The game that takes place through the pages holds each child’s focus and they enjoy guessing the animal and then performing the pose! Look out for the By The Sea version too! (Ages 4-8)
10. Good Night Yoga by Mariam Gates - Who can’t use a book with poses to help calm and prepare their child for sleep? This book does just that and also is helpful for the mindful parent as well. Children love looking for the sweet moon kitten through the story. There is optional text instructing the pose which makes this book easily adapted for younger or older children. (Ages 2-8)
Do you have any other favourite Kids Yoga and Mindfulness books? We’d love to hear!